Coffee + Planet
Together we can make a difference…
From the selection of our coffee beans and tea leaves, right through to our packaging, we take our environmental responsibility and sustainability seriously. All our blends are certified Organic, Rainforest Alliance, Fair Trade or Australian grown beans and traceable to origin. For us it’s always been a case of #whywouldnt you? It’s our bit to help support and protect the environment and the farmers in the coffee industry we all love so much. Huge thanks to The Guardian for their recent mention on our sustainably-sourced shade grown coffee beans.
These are some of the ways we practice sustainability at our Roastery Door (and we are always challenging ourselves and our team to ‘what else’ so watch this space…)
- Coffee Packaging – wherever possible we use biodegradable materials to package our tea, sugar and drinking chocolate. Coffee packs have been a little harder to accommodate as we cannot compromise the freshness our coffee. However after 10 years of sourcing and testing we are now finally able to package our coffee in a 100% Home Compostable coffee bags certified by TUV Austria! Read more here
- Shipping Packaging – all our shipping cartons, packaging, labels and tapes are also compostable.
- Coffee Pods – our new plant based 100% compostable coffee pods break down in your home compost in around 12 weeks. Did you know that Australian’s consume an estimated 3 million pods a day (!!)
- Coffee Chaff – goes into the compostable green bin
- Coffee Grounds – all our coffee grounds go to local gardeners
- Smoke Extraction – we have installed an afterburner results in …
- Bun Coffee KeepCups – we actively promote the use of reusable coffee cups and sell KeepCups at our Roastery Door and encourage customers to bring in their own coffee cups for their daily coffee.
- Takeway Cups – our BioCup take away cups are biodegradable. Made using 60% less energy than regular take away cups, they are lined with natural PLA, not plastic and also come with a matching CPLA biodegradable lid. They can go in our green compost bins or if you are not lucky enough to live in a green compost bin area, they can also go in the recycle bin.
- How We Bin – we provide clearly defined eco bins for our staff and customers to separate and recycle waste
- Commercial Composting – we privately pay for a commercial Green Compost bin to be collected weekly
- Plastic Straws – stopped the supply of plastic straws at the Roastery Door
- Coffee Sacks – our coffee sacks are recycled and upcycled through our local garden nursery and community. Did you know that all proceeds from our coffee sacks go to Byron Youth Services.
- Cleaning – we use Simply Clean for all our cleaning at the Roastery Door
- And… there will always be more so watch this space…