Ethical Coffee. A Better Future.
Together we can make a difference…
From the selection of our coffee beans and tea leaves, right through to our packaging, we take our environmental responsibility and sustainability seriously. All our blends are certified Organic, Rainforest Alliance, Fair Trade or Australian grown beans and traceable to origin. For us it’s always been a case of #whywouldnt you? It’s our bit to help support and protect the environment and the farmers in the coffee industry we all love so much. Huge thanks to The Guardian for their recent mention on our sustainably-sourced shade grown coffee beans.
These are some of the ways we practice sustainability at our Roastery Door (and we are always challenging ourselves and our team to ‘what else’ so watch this space…)
Coffee Packaging – wherever possible we use biodegradable materials to package our tea, sugar and drinking chocolate. Coffee packs have been a little harder to accommodate as we cannot compromise the freshness our coffee. However after 10 years of sourcing and testing we are now finally able to package some of our coffee in a 100% Home Compostable coffee bags certified by TUV Austria! Read more here
Shipping Packaging – all our shipping cartons, packaging, labels and tapes are also compostable.
Coffee Pods – our new plant based 100% compostable coffee pods . Did you know that Australian’s consume an estimated 3 million pods a day (!!)
Coffee Chaff – goes into the compostable green bin
Coffee Grounds – all our coffee grounds go to local gardeners
Smoke Extraction –in order to mitigate emissions of smoke and particulate matter we have installed an afterburner in our roastery.
Bun Coffee KeepCups – we actively promote the use of reusable coffee cups and sell KeepCups at our Roastery Door and encourage customers to bring in their own coffee cups for their daily coffee.
Takeway Cups – our BioCup take away cups are biodegradable. Made using 60% less energy than regular take away cups, they are lined with natural PLA, not plastic and also come with a matching CPLA biodegradable lid. They can go in our green compost bins or if you are not lucky enough to live in a green compost bin area, they can also go in the recycle bin.
How We Bin – we provide clearly defined eco bins for our staff and customers to separate and recycle waste
Commercial Composting – we privately pay for a commercial Green Compost bin to be collected weekly
Plastic Straws – stopped the supply of plastic straws at the Roastery Door
Coffee Sacks – our coffee sacks are recycled and upcycled through our local garden nursery and community. Did you know that all proceeds from our coffee sacks go to Byron Youth Services.
Cleaning – we use Simply Clean for all our cleaning at the Roastery Door
And… there will always be more so watch this space…
- The Australian Certified Organic (ACO) logo is the only way to verify that the product and all the processes from growing to roasting are genuinely certified and traceable to national and international organic standards.
- To be ACO accredited, the beans must be grown under specific conditions without the use of any chemical fertilisers, pesticides, herbicides and fumigation. Farmers must be growing under these requirements for 3 years before certification and be tested annually.
- Not only are no chemicals to be used in the entire supply chain but also during the roasting and handling processes. The beans then all need to be stored, roasted, packaged according to the ACO standards and regulations.
- Each processor receives a unique processing number as part of their certification. This is your guarantee that the product is certified and not just a claim that may only be partially true. There are very real differences between claims of ‘organic’ and ‘certified organic’.
- Advocates for better working conditions and improved terms of trade for farmers and workers in developing countries by offering rural communities the stability of income which enables them to plan for the future and invest in developing their organisation.
- Fairtrade products supports farmers and workers to improve their livelihoods and provide better support to their communities and protecting the environment in which they live and work.
- Some products, such as coffee, cocoa, and cotton, can only be certified by Fairtrade if they come from small-scale farmer organizations.
- An international non-profit organization working in more than 60 countries to create a better future for people and nature.
- Committed to drive sustainable transformation by working with companies, farmers, foresters, communities, and consumers to amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people alleviate and adapt to climate change effectively
- The little green frog is recognized by consumers around the world as the symbol of environmental, social and economic sustainability.
Coffee That Comes with Sustainability in Mind
When it comes to sustainable coffee it pays to do your research and discover how the coffee company supports others and the environment. At Bun Coffee, we are proud to work with a range of organisations that help create a positive impact on the world.
Many of us love our daily cup of coffee, but wouldn’t it be nice to know that your coffee is not causing further harm to the environment? By purchasing your coffee from sustainable coffee companies, you can do your part to reduce your carbon footprint. Read More
A Sustainable Coffee Company that puts the Environment at the Forefront
As sustainable coffee roasters, we like to think about how our work creates a positive impact on the environment and yet still provides our customers with coffee they will love. If you love the convenience of a coffee pod, you can get it with our biodegradable coffee pods filled with our delicious blends.
Both the shell and lids of our coffee pods will naturally decompose. They are 100% compostable and will break down in about 12 weeks in a commercial composting facility, so they cause no lasting harm to the environment.
Coffee sustainability should be one of your top considerations when choosing your coffee, so when you sit back and enjoy a relaxing cup of coffee, you can do so with a clear conscience.
Find Your Perfect Blend with Us Today
We are incredibly proud of our sustainably sourced coffee at Bun Coffee. You can experience a new taste sensation today when you shop with us. We have 90+ coffees for you to choose from, as well as convenient ways for brewing your coffee.
Our sustainable coffee delivery is available Australia-wide and also internationally, so you can have it sent to your home, workplace or wherever is convenient. Delivery costs vary on the weight of your order. As well as delivering throughout Australia, we can also offer international shipping; please contact us if you would like a quote.
We don’t roast your coffee until we get your order through. Isn’t it nice knowing that something is being made especially for you? What’s more, it also means you can enjoy fresh-tasting coffee that hits the spot. We’ll roast your coffee within 24 hours of your ordering, and then it will be sent to you as soon as possible.
We have great customer service, so if you have any questions or need any advice, you can get in contact with us. We’re personable, and we can support you both online and on the phone.
Shop with us today and get your favourite beverage from a sustainable coffee brand that loves the Earth and its people. With our sustainable freshly roasted, superior quality, unique blends and over 90 single-origin coffees, you know you’re in good hands.
Don’t forget to check out our Brew Guides for helpful advice on making the perfect cup of coffee. You’re also welcome by our Roastery and Espresso Bar in Byron Bay when you’re nearby. We look forward to seeing you soon. Read Less